This is one of my favorite dishes to make for events, parties, or other social occasions. Naturally gluten-free, it is very easy to make and everyone always likes it! For this and more recipes, see my cookbook, Vibrant Health. Enjoy!!
Mexican Layered Dip
- 4 cups cooked beans, mashed or pureed in a food processor
- 4 ripe avocados, mashed and mixed with 2 tsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 8 ounces of sour cream, plain yogurt, or Kefir Sauce (see recipe below)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 ounces shredded raw cheese, optional
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (or you can use salsa)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, optional
On a large platter, spread the pureed beans in a layer about 1/2 inch thick. Spread the avocado mixture in an even layer over the beans. Stir the chili powder and garlic powder into the plain yogurt or Kefir Sauce and spread over the avocado layer. Layer the remaining ingredients and serve with organic corn chips or vegetables for dipping.
This is a wonderful non-dairy substitute for sour cream. Any nuts can be fermented with kefir starter or even yogurt starter cultures.
- 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- 1 packet kefir starter culture or kefir grains
Soak the nuts in filtered water to cover for 1-4 hours. Drain and put into a blender with 2 – 2 1/2 cups filtered water and blend until smooth. Place in a glass jar and stir in the kefir starter culture. Put a lid on the jar, but leave it loose. Let sit on your countertop at room temperature for 12-24 hours, depending on the level of sourness you desire. Loosen the lid when you see bubbles form in the mixture to allow any built up pressure to escape.
Stir it before using and keep it in the refrigerator. Keeps 2-3 weeks.
Makes 1 quart.
Becky Mauldin, N.D. is a Naturopath, teacher, speaker, and author. She has authored two gluten-free cookbooks, Vibrant Health and Recipes for Life. Her story of recovery from an incurable illness has inspired many people around the world. She is known for making a healthy diet achievable for real people and real life.
Connect with her on Facebook and let her know what you think of this post.
This is posted on:
- Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist
- Better Mom Mondays at The Better Mom
- Barn Hop at the Homestead Revival
- Real Food 101 at Ruth's Real Food
- A Southern Fairytale
- Mangia Monday at Delightfully Dowling
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Show off Your Stuff at Fireflies and Jelly Beans
- Fat Tuesday at Real Food Forager
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
- Whole Food Wednesdays at Beyond the Peel
- Allergy-free Wednesdays at the Willing Cook
- Thriving on Thursdays at Domesblissity
- Freaky Friday at Real Food Freaks